AirScout latest news
2020-04-10: New stable release V220.127.116.11 ("Easter Edition") is availabe for download now. Most of the issues reported when running V1.3.x.x on
Windows XP are fixed now. See download section for download details.
2020-03-12: Several severe issues reported when running V1.3.x.x on Windows XP making the software mostly unusable. Meanwhile I could fix most of them in the next release. Be aware that (depending on your XP version and patch level) some limitations will persist, especially when using plane feeds (google TLS1.2 for details).
2020-03-01: After processing all user feedback the new stable version V18.104.22.168 of AirScout is out now for public download (see download section)
2020-02-12: New version V22.214.171.124 of AirScout is available for public download
- Compiled to run native on 32 & 64bit machines on Windows & Linux/Mono operating systems (see readme_linux.txt for details)
- New world-wide 6digit Maidenhead Locator structured elevation database with integrated min/max elevation information ready for download from the AirScout server
(GLOBE, SRTM3, SRTM1 based)
- “Multi-Path” option to manage paths to multiple stations at the same time
- New pre-calculation background service to calculate most probable paths and keep them in the database
- New JSON-interface for servicing multiple view clients (not published yet)
- Fixed issues with Open Street Map and several plane feeds
the Quick-Start Guide:
- download and unzip the file to a folder of your choice
- run AirScout.exe
- follow the instructions of the FirstRunWizard
- simply let AirScout run for a while to update all databases from web (you can see the progress in the status bar in the lower right corner)
- restart AirScout once to get the precalculation service running
- change options to your choice
2019-11-20: Trouble with OpenStreetMap provider, Error 403 occuring in map window and/or map tiles not loading
OpenStreetMap providers has tightened their rules for accessing the
free API necessary to fetch map tiles from the server. To reduce the
abuse of map service, unknown/fake
user agents/referrers in the web request are not allowed anymore. To say it clearly, the problem is on AirScout's side. But it requires changes in code to fix this. At the moment,
the only workaround is to choose another Map Provider in "Options/Maps". Remember, this may cause legal issues. Do this on your own risk!
2019-05-02: Virtual Radar Server plane feed workaround found
The website owners kindly provided me an API key for the use with AirScout. We all should be very thankful that they keep this service open and free for us. Unfortunately the handling of this API key would require changes in code and cna be done only in future versions of AirScout. Meanwhile there is a workaround available. To bring the Virtual Radar Server feed back to operation, please follow these instructions:***********************************************************
Open the “Options/Planes” tab
Select the “Virtual Radar Server” feed (if not already selected)
Click on the “Settings” button on the right of the feed entry
Replace the URL setting as shown below:
(the changes are marked for better visability only!)
Be careful when replacing the URLs! Each character and each character casing counts and may result in an error!
Best practise is to copy & paste string from this website!
Please be aware that this is a temporary solution and is not guaranteed to be online 24/7.
Hope that helps for the next time!
2019-05-01: Virtual Radar Server plane feed has stopped working.
This most popular plane feed is used by AirScout by default has stopped working recently. In future, an API key is required to access the data. I have just requested such a key to implement it in AirScout. But it is not clear so far, whether this requires a code change or not. However, it is told that the access will still be free for non-commercial purpose. You can still use the "www.planefinder.net" feed instead with some limited coverage. Stay tuned for updates!
2018-09-04: SRTM3 & SRTM1 elevation data repository has moved. Download of files with AirScout not possible anymore.
The repository's URL has changed to http://..... to https://.... and is redirected to some other URL than originally requested.
This happens quite often these days due to security reasons. AirScout, unfortunately, cannot handle this redirect and would require a change in code.
The only way to get SRTM3 elevation data with V126.96.36.199 is to copy them over from another PC or manually download them from the new URL:
Manual donwload procedure:
1. When running AirScout for the first time (inside the First Run Wizard) do not tick "Use SRTM3 data". The installation procedure should run normally with the GLOB elevation model then.
2. While AirScout is running, go to "Options/SRTM3" and find out the path to your local storage of SRTM3 tiles. Should be something like "C:\Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\DL2ALF\AirScout\ElevationData\SRTM3" by default.
3. Remember the path and close AirScout.
4. Open a web browser and navigate to: https://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Eurasia/. You will find a directory of all elevation tiles in ZIP-Format there which are sorted on latitude and longitude. Each tile is 1x1 degree.
5. Count out and download the needed files to the directory mentioned above using Right+Click and "Save as" (according to your area of interest).
6. Unzip all files in the directory.
7. Run AirScout and go to "Options/SRTM3". You should already see the magenta area of downloaded tiles. Tick "Use SRTM3 elevation data" and restart AirScout.
8. You're done.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
2018-07-29: Added a Privacy Statement according to GDPR (see Privacy Statement)
2018-02-06: Huge amount of elevation data were uploaded to this site (including SRTM1 data worldwide). This is for the upcoming version of AirScout. Stay tuned for updates.
2017-06-02: There several reports that AirScout is crashing right after startup with an "Unhandled exception" prventing the software from normal operation.
Even new installation does not help in this case. I could reproduce this bug once so far and it seems that the AirScout database has crashed and was loosing some of the tables.
There is no fix but a workaround with a small cleanup tool (go to the download area).
I will upload a new version asap. Sorry for the inconvenience.
2017-01-02: HNY to all. Latest bugfixes available with version V188.8.131.52. Please see download section for details.
2016-12-24: New bugfixed version V184.108.40.206 is online. Please see download section for details.
2016-12-23: New version V220.127.116.11 is online. Please see download section for details. New features:
- new database structure (SQLite)
- 2 new working web feeds
- 1 automatic feed for web resources not yet discovered
- new wizard on first run
- automatic download of elevation tiles
After a long period of silence new plane feeds discovered. Hoping to
release V18.104.22.168 shortly. Stay tuned for updates!
2015-02-25: New problems with plane feed reported. Working on an update.
Recent bugs in V22.214.171.124 and status of next version see below:
- Bugfix: Donate button issue - Program hangs or shows "Script error" while trying to load the website from the server --> fixed (tnx SM6CEN)
- Bugfix: Antenna tracking does not stop when selected AP disappeared, sending "0.0" values for Az/El instead of stop sending data--> fixed
- Bugfix: Planes with category "S" (Superheavy) were shown as "M" sized icons --> fixed
- Bugfix: GLOBE source unusable outside Europe: changed URL, tiles and data format --> not fixed so far (tnx VK2BJP)
- Bugfix: Corrupted lat/lon information in <www.planefinder.net> feed, major amount of planes is dropped --> not fixed so far(tnx W3SZ)
2015-02-08: New Version V126.96.36.199 is online. Please see downloads section. New features:
- new plane feed architecture (including new webfeed and local feeds)
- automatic antenna tracking (experimantal)
- news feed showing this website
Documentation update will follow as soon as possible.
2015-01-25: Latest BETA version V188.8.131.52 with new plane feed delivered to selected users.
2015-01-22: Plane feeds discountinued. Working on a software update.
Stay tuned for news on this website!
73 de Frank, DL2ALF